Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Mike Stories, Pt. 56

The weather today was amazing! And to celebrate the unusually nice weather, Mike and I went out to a local brewery with outdoor seating to enjoy a frosty beverage and watch the sunset. Shortly after we were seated, Mike told me that he had gotten a "warning" from his new Twitter account (@MikeStoriesFans) - an account he opened yesterday in his quest to become Internet Famous. He wrote some kind of algorithm to auto-post for him. (I asked him if he was just stealing other people's posts and re-posting them. He didn't really give me a straight answer, which I assume means "yes")

Eventually, he told me that Twitter warned him that his account would be blocked if he didn't "stop" whatever it was that he was doing (which he neglected to explain in a way that made sense). Upon questioning him about possibly being Twitter blocked, he fessed up that the he had already been suspended by Twitter, not just "warned" about whatever he was up to.

I told him he'd probably be blocked by the time he got home. He said "yeah, probably. My algorithm needs work!" I suspect the suspension had to do with his Twitter account being run by a robot instead of by an actual person. (to which he replied that he did have to enter Captcha information to prove he was a real person in order to remove the suspension on his account).

He claims that the suspension warning looked like the one below, but I bet the wording had to do with robots and spamming! At the time of this posting, his Twitter account - opened roughly 24 hours ago - has posted 1,020 tweets. Amazingly he has somehow gotten 77 followers already. Spamming with robots appears to be effective!


No comments:

Post a Comment